Identity Data Dictionary
Frequently Asked Questions
Last modified 5/11/2023
- What is an identity?
An identity (or digital identity) in the context of identity management refers to a set of information that pertains to an individual person or entity. These have unique identifiers associated with them such as the University Login ID (ULID) username or University ID (UID) number.
- What is the difference between an identity and an account?
An account is the resource object used within applications and services to give access to users.
Accounts are often associated with an identity and the information set of that identity. However, users can have an account in an application that is disconnected from their individual identity.
- What is a service account?
A service account is a local or domain account created to run a particular program, software, or application. Typically, service accounts possess elevated privileges to allow for required operations and/or communications between services.
- What info do I need for activation?
To activate your service account, you will need the associated UID and birthdate provided in the SendTo communication.
- How do I activate my service account?
Go to account management, account.ilstu.edu, and click on "Activate ULID Now". The site will walk you through the additional steps needed to complete activation.
- Why does my service account need to be in an identity manager?
One of the great values of recognizing service accounts in the Universities identity manager is awareness. It is difficult to manage and secure what you don't know you have. This effort will help ensure ownership is recorded, stewardship is assigned, and compliance is met.
- What communication should I expect during activation?
The identity manager onboarding and activation process will result in two communications being sent to your university email. An email outlining the accounts successful creation and general instructions on activation. The second will be a secure SendTo message containing your service accounts UID and birthdate. This can be retrieved by logging into sendto.illinoisstate.edu with your ULID.
- Who should I contact if I have issues with service account activation?
Please contact the Technology Support Center via the normal avenues.
Cherwell Service Management
- What should I do if my SendTo message expires?
Please submit a request via Cherwell Service Management or the IT Help Portal to the Office of Identity Access Management to resend your activation communication.
- Does my account remain active after retirement?
Yes, employees that retire from the University and meet the requirements for benefits by Human Resources maintain access to their account for their lifetime.
- Does my access remain the same after retirement?
No. Retirees are only granted access to select services. Refer to
Electronic Resources – Retirees have access to:
- E-mail accounts
- Web storage space on Datastore
- Technology Support Center at (309) 438-4357
- Computer training classes from the Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) at (309) 438-2542