When you set up an email redirect from Office 365, make sure the junk mail settings for your destination account are configured to allow ilstu.edu email to be delivered.
Always Test After Setting Up an Email Redirect
When you set up an email redirect, you should always send a test email to make sure it works as expected. To verify your email redirect is working properly, do the following:
- Set up your email redirect(if you have not already done so).
- Please refer to the following article for assistance with redirecting your email in Office 365: Create and Inbox Rules to Redirect all Messages in Office 365 Email.
Send a test email to your ilstu.edu address.
Log in to to the email account to which you’ve redirected your ilstu.edu email.
Verify that you received the test message.
Junk Mail Settings Can Cause Problems
Some email providers have aggressive junk mail settings turned on by default. When you redirect your university email to another account, the junk mail settings for the destination account may incorrectly mark ilstu.edu email as “junk”. Depending on your settings, ilstu.edu email may be moved to a Junk folder, or it may automatically delete ilstu.edu emails.
To verify that ilstu.edu email is not being incorrectly trashed or junked, do the following:
- Log in to the account where you redirected your university email. For example, if you redirected your email to firstname.lastname@example.org, log in to Gmail.
- Locate your junk mail settings. They might in “Options,” “Settings,” “Junk Mail Controls,” “Spam Controls,” “Bulk Mail Settings,” or another area.
- Once you’ve located your junk mail settings, check to see how they are configured. Your email account should never be configured to automatically delete junk mail. If your email account offers it, you should configure your settings to move junk mail to a Junk folder.
- Look for an option to put ilstu.edu email on a protected list so Illinois State emails are never accidentally marked as junk. This may be called a “white list.” Sometimes you can add a specific email address or an entire domain to a white list. If possible, add the ilstu.edu domain to your account white list.
- When you are done, send a test email to your ilstu.edu address. After a moment, log in to your second account (the one for which you set up the email forward). Verify that you received the test email.
How to Get Help
For technical assistance, you may contact the Technology Support Center at 309-438-4357, or by email at SupportCenter@IllinoisState.edu.