Students enrolled can view details about a new major by running a “What-If Report” in the Student Center.
Before You Begin
If you are a student, you use the “What If” report in the Student Center to plan a change to your major. The “What If” report allows you to see the details of a new major, including required and elective classes needed.
For example, “What if I became a Biology major? What classes would I need to take?”
Run a What-If Report in the Student Service Center
To run a “What If” report in the Student Center, do the following:
- Go to http://my.illinoisstate.edu.
- Sign in by clicking the button [Sign in Using CentralLogin].
- Log in with your ULID and password.
- If you have problems logging in, you can regain access to your account by completing the account recovery process.
- If you unable to complete the account recovery process, please contact the Technology Support Center at 309-438-4357 for assistance.
- Click the [Campus Solutions] link on the right-hand side (Figure 1).
Image Description: A screenshot of the My.IllinoisState homepage with a red arrow pointing to Campus Solutions.
- Click the [Student Service Center] tile (Figure 2).
Image Description: A screenshot of the Student Homepage within Campus Solutions with an arrow pointing to the Student Center option.
- Locate the Academics section and click the [My Academics] link (Figure 3).
Image Description: A screenshot of the Student Center homepage with an arrow pointing to the My Academics option.
- On the My Academics page, click the [Create a what-if scenario] link (Figure 4).
Image Description: A screenshot of the “What-If” scenario option within the Student Center.
- On the What-If Report/What-If Report Selection page, click the button labeled [Create New Report] (Figure 5).
Image Description: A screenshot of the “Create New Report” option within Student Center.
- On the What-If Report/Create What-If Scenario page, locate the Career Scenario section and click the drop-down menu under Career to select a major you would like to learn more about (Figure 6).
Image Description: A screenshot of the Career Scenario within the Student Center.
- Locate the Program Scenario section, and click the drop-down menus in the Academic Program, Area of Study, and Concentration columns to select the desired criteria (Figure 7).
Image Description: A screenshot of the Program Scenario within the Student Center.
- Locate the Course Scenario section and click the [browse course catalog] link if you wish to add courses to your what-if scenario (Figure 8.
Image Description: A screenshot of the Browse Course Catalog option within the Student Center.
- The My Planner/Course Detail page displays information about the course, including Career, credit hour Units, Grading Basis, Course Components, Campus, Academic Group, Academic Organisation, and a detailed Description of the course.
12a. To view available class sections of the course, click the [view class sections] button (figure 9).
12b. The Course Schedule section appears beneath Course Detail and displays scheduled class sections of the course for the current semester.
12c. To view class sections of the course for a different term, click the [Terms Offered] drop-down menu and select the term you would like to view (figure 10).
12d. If the term you want to view is not listed, information for that term may not yet be available or that course may not be scheduled to be offered for that term.
12e. To view detailed information about a class section, click the link under the Section column for the section you want to view.
12f. The My Planner/Class Details page displays information about that class section, including Class Details, Meeting Information, Class Availability, class Description, and Textbook information.
12g. If you are currently eligible to register for classes for the term you are searching, you can use the [Select] button next to the class section to add the class to your shopping cart.
12h. For more information, please refer to 530: Registering for Classes at Illinois State University.
- When you have completed making selections for your what-if scenario, click the [Submit Request] (Figure 11).
Image Description: Click “Submit Request” to complete the Course Scenario.
- On the What-If Report page, the results of your report will be displayed.
- To view your report as a PDF, click the [view report as pdf] button.
- When you have finished viewing your What-If Report, click the [Student Center] link at the top of the page to return to the Student Service Center.
When you run a “What If” report, you will see graduation requirements and major/minor requirements.
The Graduation Requirements section is displayed near the top of the report. This section details minimum GPA and credit hour requirements for graduation, as well as your progress toward completion of these requirements.
The remainder of the report displays the GPA requirements, as well as the required courses and elective course options for each major or minor you included in your What-If scenario. The report will also display any courses you have taken that count toward completion of these requirements, as well as those that you have yet to complete.
How to Get Help
For questions about changing majors, academic requirements, and GPA requirements please contact your academic advisor, or the University College at 309-438-3217.
To get help with the Student Service Center portal, please contact the Technology Support Center at 309-438-4357 or email@example.com.