Note: Please consult with your local tech team to ensure your work devices and accounts are properly enabled for remote connections.
Before starting the process of connecting to a University PC from a personal PC, first request and download the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client from the Technology Support Center.
Connect to Cisco AnyConnect. Reference this knowledge article for step-by-step instructions: How to Use Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
- Open Windows Menu by pressing the “Windows” key on your keyboard or Click the [Windows Icon] on your Taskbar
- Start Typing “Remote Desktop Connection”, the result should populate as shown below.
- Click on [Remote Desktop Connection – Desktop App]
- A window named “Remote Desktop Connection” will open up on your screen as shown below.
- In the text box next to the label “Computer: ”, type in the computer’s name you are trying to connect to. Please reference this knowledge article if you are unsure of your computers name: How to Locate Computer/PC Name
- Click the [Connect] button, or press “N” on your keyboard to use the “Connect” shortcut.
Note: If your computer name is incorrect, you will receive this error:
If this occurs, click the [OK] button and ensure that you are inputting the correct name for the computer that you are trying to connect to, and then click [Connect] OR press the “N” key to begin connecting.
7. You should now begin loading your connection to the remote computer, and will be able to continue working from there.
WARNING: Do not shut down your computer through the Remote Desktop Connection — this will shut down your physical work computer and you will be unable to reconnect. You may log off; however, restarts are not advisable unless absolutely necessary.