Note: Please consult with your local tech team to ensure your work devices and accounts are properly enabled for remote connections
Before starting the process of connecting to a university PC from a personal Mac, first request and download the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client from the Technology Support Center and download Microsoft Remote Desktop from the Apple Store for free.
Connect to Cisco AnyConnect. Reference this knowledge article for step-by-step instructions: How to Use Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
- Open Microsoft Remote Desktop, this typically is an individual app within your Applications folder.
- Once open, please locate the “+” symbol near the top left of the application, select [Add PC]
- When the new window appears, enter the following:
Note: If you are unsure what your PC name is, please follow the steps in this knowledge article: How to Locate Computer/PC Name
PC Name: Enter the PCName.ad.ilstu.edu
User Account: Ask when required
Friendly Name: This is optional. Select something familiar to you such as ‘Work Desktop’.
Leave the rest selected as is and click [Add]
- To connect to your PC, double click the PC you added in the previous step.
- The PC will then ask for the username and password to connect with, this will be your ULID and password. Once entered correctly, you will be connected to your work PC and your user profile will be loaded.
To disconnect from the PC, quit the application.
WARNING: Do not shut down your computer through Microsoft Remote Desktop — this will shut down your physical work computer and you will be unable to reconnect. You may log off; however, restarts are not advisable unless absolutely necessary.