Note: Please consult with your local tech team to ensure your work devices and accounts are properly enabled for remote connections
Before starting the process of connecting to a University Mac from a personal Mac, first request and download the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client from the Technology Support Center.
- Navigate into the Apple Menu in the upper left-hand corner of of your screen and then click [System Preferences].
- In the menu that appears, select [Sharing].
- Put a check in “Screen Sharing”.
a. Ensure the user is listed under ‘Allow access for:’ if All users is not selected.
- Verify the “Computer Name” field at the top is filled out as the tag number of the machine.
- Click the [<] button to go back to System Preferences.
- Select [Energy Saver]
- Change the computer sleep timer to “Never”
a. This prevents issues where the computer would fall asleep and is unable to be remoted into.
b. Newer models/macOS may not have a sleep option.
c. You may also schedule the Mac to wake up at a scheduled time if desired:
- If off-campus, you must connect to the VPN first. Reference this knowledge article for instructions: How to Use Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client
- Open “Finder” and then click [Go].
- Under the “Go” menu, select [Connect to server] .
- Type the following in the server address field. Replace "ComputerName" with the tag number of the computer:
- Type in the credentials you wish to login with.
WARNING: Do not shut down your computer through the Remote Desktop — this will shut down your physical work computer and you will be unable to reconnect. You may log off; however, restarts are not advisable unless absolutely necessary.