This article will go over some of the basics of editing your About.IllinoisState.edu CampusPress website.
You can contact CTLT at 309-438-2542 or by email at CTLT@IllinoisState.edu for further training on how to build your website.
Your first time logging in you click the link sent to you in the email you received after requesting a website. After this you go to About.IllinoisState.edu/ULID/wp-admin/ to edit your website.
After going to this address click [Sign in using CentralLogin] (image 1) to get started editing your website.
You will now be logged into your Dashboard (image 2).
It is recommended that you use the default colors, font style, and types. Using these defaults will keep your website in line with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) standards. You should be following the website and digital accessibility documentation available to you at AT.IllinoisState.edu/web-interactive-communications/accessibility/. Please be aware that these websites are public and reflect the University.
You should have a few pages premade for you with examples in them on all of the commonly used blocks.
- Click on the [Pages] Tab in your side menu (image 3)
- Click the [Add New] button located at the top of your Pages page or in your side Menu Bar.
- Write in the Title of your new page (image 4)
- Add information using blocks (See information about blocks section)
- Click [Preview] at any time to preview what your page will look like once published (image 5)
- Click [Publish] when you are completed creating a new page (image 6)
- Click [Update] when you finish editing a page (image 7)
Editing Pages Using Blocks:
Your About.IllinoisState.edu website on CampusPress will be edited by using different premade blocks to fit the needs of your website. There are many different types of blocks available for you to stack and use together to fit the needs of your website. To get started, edit the blocks already on your page or click the [Add Block] button show in image 8.
- H1 – Used only for the main titles of your pages
- Ex: Organization Name, Home, About, Contact
- H2—Secondary titles for introducing information on your pages
- Ex: Titles for individual Paragraphs underneath your main heading
- H3 –Tertiary titles used for further detailing information.
- Ex: Introducing detailed lists or information within your titled paragraphs.
- H4—Individual sections within your information
- Ex: Rarely used, but can be used to further detail and emphasize information.
- H1 – Used only for the main titles of your pages
- Paragraph – Used for dense sections of information
- Image – Used for putting up large images on site
- Media & Text – Used for putting images or other media in line with text
- List — Used for bullet lists or numbered lists that you are needing before after or within a paragraph.
- Gallery — Used to put many images up in line with each other.
- File — Used to attach documents and PDFs to your website
- Video — Used to insert playable video into your website
- Embeds — Used to link Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and media from other sites within your website.
Creating and Editing Links:
- Adding a Link in new Block Editor
- The Block Editor comes with several blocks where you can add text. The most commonly used one is the Paragraph Block which comes with an [Insert Link] button in the Toolbar.
- All other commonly used text blocks also include a link button in the toolbar (Image 9)
To Add a Hyperlink within your Campus Press website, follow these instructions:
- Highlight the area you want to add the Hyperlink to, and then select the [Link] button
- A box will pop up for you to add your link into (Image 10)
- Within that box, paste the link you want to add or you can type in the field to search for an existing page within your website
- Click the [Down Arrow] button next to the link to pull up the Link Settings, allowing you to choose for the hyperlink to open in a new tab if desired (Image 11)
- Click the [Bent Arrow] button next to the link you’ve added (Image 12), or press Enter on your keyboard to save the link.
Editing your Menu:
You can edit your Menu Bar so that you can have drop downs if you need to. Each page creates a link in your Menu Bar, to edit your menu bar follow the instructions below:
- Click on the [Appearance] link in your Side Menu. (Image 13)
- Click [Menus] (Image 14)
- Drag the page or pages you want in your drop down into the main page you want the drop down to be on
- If they are properly under the main page, they will appear indented. (Image 15)
*Note: Your page titles will appear as your menu names. (Image 16)
Adding Images to your Media Library:
- Click [Media] in your side menu (Image 17)
- Click [Add New] (Image 18)
- Click [Select Files] (Image 19)
- Navigate to the file or files you want to upload
- Select your file or multiple files
- To select multiple files in MacOS press Command and click each file while holding Command
- To select multiple files in Windows press Ctrl and click each file while holding Ctrl
- After your files upload, they will be available as part of your media library for you to use within your blocks. (Image 20)
Contact the Technology Support Center at 309-438-4357 or by email at SupportCenter@IllinoisState.edu.