Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is an authentication process that requires the user to have more than one form of identification to gain access to a specific account. MFA requires you to use something you have (a phone number or the Microsoft Authenticator App), and something you know (the password associated with your ULID). This two-step process increases the safety and security of your accounts and personal information. By enabling MFA on your account, you are protecting your account from phishing attempts, identity theft attempts, and password theft.
The following video can help provide additional information on MFA. What is Multi-Factor Authentication.
Why is Illinois State University implementing Multi-Factor Authentication?
MFA is an important layer of defense beyond your password. It helps protect your account from being compromised and ensures that you are the person that is accessing your account.
Although we do not require you to enroll in Multi-Factor Authentication at first, we strongly recommend that you complete the enrollment and authentication process in order to increase the security of your Office 365 account.
If you do not enroll in MFA by the date communicated, you will be automatically enabled and forced to complete enrollment before accessing Office 365 services.
Contact the Technology Support Center for further information.
Yes, verification methods are remembered for up to 60 days.
For assistance with the authentication process, please contact the Technology Support Center.
You may manage your registered devices in the ULID Account Management page.
Please try another authentication method and contact the Technology Support Center.
At this time, we have not identified any incompatible devices.
International phone numbers can be added as an alternate phone in the manage verification devices website.
Go to the ULID Account Management page and register the device. Be sure to delete the old device.
Once you have become eligible for Multi-Factor Authentication you will need to complete the following steps to finalize your enrollment.
- Log in to My.IllinoisState.edu, scroll down and click on the Technology Help button and then click the Account Management Tab in the new page that loads.
- Log in and enable MFA. Instructions for enabling MFA, may be found in the article How to Enable Multi- Factor Authentication.
- Proceed to the Office365 web page to begin the authentication process.
- Follow the on-screen steps to receive your authentication code via phone call or Microsoft Authenticator mobile app which can be found in the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store
- Verify the account using the code sent to you through a phone call or the mobile app.
Once you have completed these steps you will successfully be enrolled in MFA.
If you are having trouble with the enrollment or authentication process check out the following helpful hint video or read one of the Knowledge Base articles. If you are still having issues authenticating, contact the Technology Support Center online at ITHelp.IllinoisState.edu, over the phone at (309) 438-4357, or visit Julian Hall 115.
- Overview of Multi-Factor Authentication
- How to Enable Multi-Factor Authentication
- Secure the Bird
- How to Remember your Multi-Factor Authentication Verification Method
- How to Sign-in Using Multi-Factor Authentication
- How to Set-up Multi-Factor Authentication using the Mobile App
- How to Set-up Multi-Factor Authentication using your Phone Number