Per University Policy 9.7.1, the definition of Mass Electronic Communication is any electronic communication of the same message, in multiple or single distribution, to 100 or more individuals.
Any member of the University community can send individual email messages to one or more individuals; current restrictions limit the number of individuals to fewer than 100, either in multiple or single mailings of the same or similar message.
Any member of the University community needing to communicate regularly with 100 or more individuals should consider using a Listserv (A software program that automatically distributes email to individuals subscribed to the email list). Listservs are used at Illinois State University by faculty, staff, and students to receive announcements and to communicate about classes, business, technology, and many other issues. For more information: 720: Overview of Listservs
To Send an Email to More than 100 Recipients
- Navigate to ITHelp.IllinoisState.edu.
- Click the [Get Help] button.
- Click the [Login to the IT Help Service Portal] link.
- When prompted, login with your ULID and password.
- Click the [Request a Mass Email] link.
- The Short Description and Description fields will pre-fill. You can update these fields with pertinent information, but the additional fields below will require pertinent information.
- Enter your phone number in the Preferred Phone field.
- Select an answer from the drop down list to the question “Who should the mass email go to?”, please note if you select Other Audience you will need to provide a description of the audience.
- Select an answer from the drop down list to the question “Is there a pre-defined list of recipients for this mass email?”. If you answer Yes, you will need to add recipients’ emails in the open field (figure 1) separated by a semicolon, or attach a spreadsheet using the “Attach a file” paperclip icon at the top of the page (figure 2).
Image Description: A screenshot of the field where you will enter the necessary information in regards to your mass email request.
- Enter the Target Date for the communication to be sent by, along with the Target Time.
- Enter an email address in the Mass Email From Address: field.
- Enter a complete name in the Mass Email From Name: field.
- Enter the subject, as you wish it to appear, in the Mass Email Subject Line: field.
- Enter the body of the mail you wish to send in the Mass Email Body: field.
- Answer the “Does this email contain a link to a survey?” question.
- Save the request by clicking the [Save] button on the top, right of the Service Request form. You can also note the Service Request number.
You will receive an email from Illinois State IT Help regarding the service request ticket being created. Once the Mass Email has been approved, you will receive an update via an email from the service request ticket.