All members of Illinois State University have the ability to manage their Office 365 calendars. By default, Office 365 calendars are set to view “Free/Busy” time. Free/Busy is being aware that another person has an appointment at a certain day and time. Please know that each user has the ability to control the amount of detail displayed on their calendar.
Users may manage their calendar settings in the Office 365 portal, or in the Outlook email client. Instructions for each are below:
Manage Calendar Visibility Via the Office 365 Portal
To change the level of detail shared on your calendar in Office 365, please follow the steps below:
- Go to https://office365.illinoisstate.edu and login with your full ISU email and password.
- Once you are logged in and you are navigated to the home page, click the [All Apps] button to view the calendar option. (Figure 1)
- Click the [Calendar] tile to open the Calendar app. (Figure 2).
- When you have your calendar open, click [Share] on the top-right corner. (Figure 3).
Please Note: If you have multiple calendars, click the calendar name you wish the change the permission level for.
- When the "Share" window appears, choose the level of access for anyone who may have access to your calendar (Figure 4).
- My Organization will control your calendar accessibility to the campus community.
- To hide your calendar, choose “Not shared.”
- To share your calendar with individual ISU members, type their name in the bar at the top and click [Share]. After choosing their level of access, they will receive an email with the invitation to share your calendar.
5. Exit from the window to save your changes.
Manage Calendar Visibility in Outlook for Windows:
- Open Outlook.
- Click [File] > [Options] > [Calendar].
- Click the [Free/Busy Options...] button under Calendar Options.
- Change the default permission level to None and uncheck the Folder Visible box.
- Click [Apply].
The calendar will now be hidden from all members of the university.
Manage Calendar Visibility in Outlook for Mac:
- Open Outlook and navigate to Calendar. It should be a calendar button on the bottom left corner of Outlook next to an envelope.
- Click [Home] to reveal your calendar permissions. Click [Calendar Permissions] to edit them.
- Change the default identity to a permissions level you are comfortable with. If you would rather delete the person or organization from your list of individuals who can view the calendar, click the name, then when it is highlighted, click the minus [-] button on the bottom left corner of the window, then click [Done].
Their calendar will now be hidden from all members of the university.
How to Get Help
For technical assistance, you may contact the Technology Support Center at 309-438-4357, or by email at SupportCenter@IllinoisState.edu.
For more information about Office 365, see the following: