NOTE: The features mentioned in this article reflect the latest version of the Zoom desktop client. For information on how to update Zoom, see How to Update Zoom.
To join a Zoom meeting that has been created for you, use the unique meeting code. If you are a student, this should be provided to you by your professor.
- Open a web browser and navigate to https://IllinoisState.Zoom.US.
- Click [Join] (figure 1).
- You will be taken to a login page. Enter the ten-digit meeting ID provided to you by the meeting organizer and click [Join] (figure 2).
- You may be asked to download the software. If you are, accept the prompt that appears and allow the software to download. If you are not, proceed to Step 8.
- When the download is complete, go to your downloads and click one of the following:
5a. [ZoomInstaller.exe] for Windows.
5b. [Zoom.pkg] for Mac.
- Zoom will now install on your computer.
- Launch Zoom.
- Choose a name by which you will appear to others.
- Once connected, a box will appear. Click [Join Audio by Computer] to connect your microphone and speakers to the call.
- You should now be able to see the other participants in the call on video and communicate using the microphone and speakers.
To end the meeting, click [End Meeting] in the bottom right corner or close the meeting window.
A.) Audio/Video Settings: You can either mute or unmute your mic, as well as enable push-to-talk so that you can talk at the click of a button instead of having your mic always on, if you prefer. You can click the microphone to quickly mute if needed.
B.) Participants: This allows you to see who else is in the meeting with you.
C.) Share Screen: You can share your screen with the host or other meeting attendees so they can see what is on your screen at the moment, but the meeting host has the ability to disable this option if they want to.
D.) Reactions: Clicking this button will allow you to send emoticon reactions to the host and others.
E.) More: Click this button to access more ping features for the meeting.