This article explains how to configure the Mozilla Thunderbird email client to receive your Illinois State University Office 365 email account.
Add your Office 365 email to Thunderbird
To configure Thunderbird, do the following:
- Open Thunderbird.
- Click the Thunderbird Menu icon (three horizontal bars) at the upper-right of the Thunderbird pane.
Image Description: A screenshot of the settings button within Thunderbird.
- Hover your cursor over Options and click [Account Settings].
Image Description: A screenshot of the “Account Actions” tab within Thunderbird’s advanced account settings.
- Click [Account Actions] and then select [Add Mail Account…].
- Enter your name in the field labeled Your Name.
- Enter your email address in the field labeled Email Address (i.e. yourULID@ilstu.edu).
Image Description: A screenshot of the section where you will enter your personal information. Press Continue after entering your sensitive account information.
- Enter your ULID password in the field labeled Password, and then click [Continue]. Configuration found at email provider will appear, but you have to click[Manual Config].
Please Note: Thunderbird will automatically try to set up the connection using default configurations, but you will need to click the [Manual Config] button to enter the correct configuration.
Image Description: A screenshot of the account set up page. Here, you will click “Manual Config” so that you can manually enter the information posted in this article to ensure you are correctly configuring your account.
- For Incoming Server hostname enter outlook.office365.com,change Port to 993, change SSL to SSL/TLS and Authentication is Normal password.
- Enter smtp.office365.com in the Outgoing Server hostname field, change Port to 587, change SSL to STARTTLS and Authentication is Normal password.
- Enter your complete email address (i.e. yourULID@ilstu.edu) in the Incoming and Outgoing Username fields.
Image Description: A screenshot of the email account set up page.
- Click the [Re-test] button. You should get a message stating, “The following settings were found by probing the given server”.
Image Description: A screenshot of the email account set up page. Click “Re-Test” to ensure that the credentials you have entered are correct, then you will click connect.
- Click the [Done] button.
- Click [OK] to close the Account Settings window.
Thunderbird is now configured for use with your Office 365 email account.
Important: All of your folders will not automatically be viewable in Thunderbird. To be able to view all of your folders, see the section below, entitled “How to View Your Folders in Thunderbird”.
Not working? Make sure you entered your email and password correctly and try again. Also, be sure to update the server to outlook.office365.com vs .edu.
How to View Your Folders in Thunderbird
You may view all, or some, of your folders in Thunderbird. In order to do so:
- Within Thunderbird, click on your email address, on the left side of the Thunderbird window.
- Under Advanced Features, click [Manage Folder Subscriptions].
- A pop-up window will open, entitled Subscribe, which will display all of the existing folders for your email account. Place a check to the right of any folders you would like to be able to view within Thunderbird.
Image Description: A screenshot of the Advanced Features section with an arrow pointing to the “Manage Folder Subscriptions” button.
Note: You will need to click the arrows to the left of any expandable folders in order to be able to view and select any sub-folders for subscription.
- Once you have selected all of the folders you would like to be able to view, click [Subscribe] > [OK].
You will now see the selected folders underneath your email address within Thunderbird.
Important: The new folders will not automatically populate with your email messages. When you click on a folder to view the contents, Thunderbird will then sync your email for the selected folder.
Removing an Email Account from Thunderbird
For information regarding how to remove an email account from Thunderbird, please refer to:
How to Get Help
For technical assistance, you may contact the Technology Support Center at (309) 438-4357, or by email at SupportCenter@illinoisstate.edu.
Back to Overview: