You may configure Outlook 2016 for Mac OS X for use with your Illinois State University Office 365 email account. To configure Outlook on a Windows machine, please refer to 1309: Configuring Outlook for Office 365 Email and Calendar in Windows
Configuring Outlook 2016 on your Mac for Office 365 Email and Calendar
To configure Outlook for use with your Office 365 email account in Mac OS X, do the following:
- Open Outlook.
- On the Tools menu, click [Accounts...] > [Add Email Account].
- Enter your email address in the E-mail address field. Click [Continue] when finished. You may be prompted for a password.
- Your account should be added after authentication. After the account is added, you may be prompted to add another account. Click [Done] unless you are adding a different account.
- A new "Accounts" window will appear after confirming your account. In that box, find the "Method" field and make sure “User Name and Password” is selected.
- Enter your email address and password in the fields labeled User name and Password:
- Exit from the window when finished. Your account should now be added, unless you are prompted for additional information, such as the possible messages below.
- If you receive the message, "Outlook was redirected to the server autodiscover-s.outlook.com to get new settings for your account ‘yourULID@ilstu.edu’. Do you want to allow this server to configure your settings?” click [Allow].
- If you receive the message, "Autodiscover failed. Try configuring manually.” enter outlook.office365.com and click Add Account.
Outlook is now configured for use with your Office 365 email account, and your email, contacts, and calendar data will begin to sync to your account.
Not working? Make sure you entered your email and password correctly and try again. Also, be sure to update the server to outlook.office365.com vs .edu.
Please Note: Removing your account from Outlook 2016 may take up to an hour. If the account is not automatically removed in that time, hold the Control key and click the Outlook icon in the dock. Click Force Quit in the dock to close Outlook. After the program has closed, reopen Outlook and you will be able to re-add your Office 365 account.
Removing an Email Account
You may remove an email account from your Outlook for Mac email client. In order to do so, do the following:
- Launch the Outlook.
- On the menu bar, click [Tools] > [Accounts…].
- In the Accounts pane, select the email account you wish to remove and click the minus sign icon underneath [-].
- When asked, “Are you sure you want to delete this account?”, click [Delete].
You have successfully removed the account from the Outlook email client.
How to Get Help
For technical assistance, you may contact the Technology Support Center at 309-438-4357, or by email at SupportCenter@illinoisstate.edu.