Emergency alerts are sent to members of Illinois State when a crisis situation occurs on campus. By default, all members of the University will receive emergency alert notices to their ISU email account. Emergency alerts are not sent to third party email accounts (ex: Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail). University members may subscribe to receive emergency alerts by text to their mobile phone numbers. Parents and community members may sign up to receive ISU emergency alert notices as well.
What is the ISU Emergency Alert system?
The ISU Emergency Alert system will notify you immediately after an emergency which threatens life or safety is identified on campus. This includes information on tornado warnings. Details about the ISU Emergency Alert system can be found at http://security.illinoisstate.edu/emergency_alert/.
How can I subscribe/unsubscribe to emergency alerts?
Members of Illinois State University:
All members of Illinois State University receive emergency alerts to their ISU email accounts by default. You may also subscribe to receive emergency alerts via your mobile phone numbers. Use the following directions to unsubscribe to emergency alerts:
- Open a web browser and navigate to MY.IllinoisState.edu.
- Click the button in the center of the screen labelled [Sign in using CentralLogin].
- Enter your [ULID] in the ULID field. Enter your password in the Password field.
- Click the [Sign In] button.
- In the upper right of the screen, click [My Profile].
- Scroll down to the Emergency Alerts section and click the button labelled [Update Your Emergency Alert Information]. This will open your Contact Details page.
- In the Phone section, if you do not already have a “Mobile” type phone number listed, click the [+] icon to add your mobile phone number. If you already have a “Mobile” type phone number listed, click on the number to edit it.
- Enter your mobile phone number in the field provided if you are adding a new mobile number, and select the checkbox next to “Preferred” if this is your preferred contact phone number. If you are unsubscribing from alerts to your existing mobile phone #, select the checkbox next to Opt Out of Emergency Alerts to unsubscribe from receiving emergency alerts via text.
- Click [Save].
- It may take up to 24 hours after updating your mobile phone number for change to take affect in the emergency alerting system.
“Mobile” listed in the Type field. If the Type is listed as “Home,” the Opt Out checkbox will not be available. To view the Opt Out checkbox, the phone number with the Type of “Home” will first need to be deleted, then reentered by following these directions:
Image Description: A screenshot of the phone numbers list in your ISU contacts list.
Parents and Community Members
Parents and community members may sign up to receive emergency alerts by text to their mobile phones by texting “ISUAlerts” to the number 67283. You will receive the following messages:
Image Description: A screenshot that shows a mobile user opting into the ISU Emergency Alerts. These alerts will be texted to you in the event of an emergency, and when ISU is testing their Alert System.
Parents and community members may unsubscribe from ISU emergency alerts by texting “STOP ISUAlerts” to 67283.
Will I get spam by signing up for emergency alerts?
No. Your personal information will be used only to send alerts about emergencies that threaten the life or safety of those on campus. This includes alerts about severe weather.
How can I get more help?
For questions or problems with the ISU Emergency Alert system, contact the Technology Support Center at 309-438-4357 or by email at email@example.com.